After playing some more Planetside, I am really looking forward to the upcoming MMOFPS Huxley for the Xbox 360. It’s running on Unreal Engine 3 and looks absolutely amazing. Think of it like Planetside but with twitch gameplay like unreal tournament. It’s going to be awesome. First check out the E3 trailer and then check out this demo:
So the reserves program is live now. You can now play for free for 12 months while the program runs. Of course you are limited in battle rank, but the game can still be a lot of fun at low levels. Here is how to join up.
The digital download version of PlanetSide is offered as a large single .zip file. It is recommended that WinZIP 8.1 or higher is used in unzipping the PlanetSide files. Please follow the directions below on how to download PlanetSide and begin the installation.
NOTE: Some downloads may be quite large and take significant time to save/download. These instructions are based on the assumption that the WinZIP application is already installed on your computer.
psreserves.zip (Left click this file or follow the below instructions to download the file)
- Right-click on the file.
- Select “Save Target As”, “Save Link to Disk”, or “Save Link Target As” (depending on your browser)
- Select the appropriate destination on your hard drive.
- Once the file download has completed, right-click on the psreserves.zip icon.
- Scroll down the menu to the “WinZip” option. (A new menu will be expanded from the WinZip menu item.)
- Select “Extract to folder” and have WinZip extract the zip file to your current folder.
Now that you’ve downloaded:
- Double-click the Setup.exe file located in the psreserves folder you just extracted
- Click Next on the Welcome page
- Click Next on the Anti-Virus warning
- Agree to the license, then click Next
- Choose the location you want the game to be installed in, then click Next.
- When the installer is finished, click Next, and then Finish.
- DirectX 9.0c is needed to play PlanetSide. Please go to Microsoft’s DirectX download page, download the package there and install it.
- Reboot if prompted.
PlanetSide is now installed on your computer! Now you just need to set up your account.
- Double-click the PlanetSide shortcut on the desktop
- If you don’t have an existing Station Account, click Create a New Account
- Enter the required information, remembering to mark the checkbox acknowledging that you agree to the Terms of Service, then click on the Submit button
- Congratulations, you now have a Station Account and your account is now activated.
- Close Browser window and Log into the PlanetSide LaunchPad to play.
There is a cool (and extremely funny) video tour of Bungie’s new(ish) building. If you watched the Channel 9 interview with Mat Noguchi, then you have already seen some of their building. This new video tour from Bungie is so funny though, it’s worth watching just for the humor. Not to mention you see a lot more (and a lot more interesting stuff) in this tour then what you could see from the interview.
I could not be more excited right now. After the bad sales for Tribes: Vengeance (which is a great game that everyone should buy), most of the community expected to never see a new Tribes game. As you probably know, Tribes has been my favorite online game and I have been playing it for years (since 1999). Well, a few days ago, “Ajaxprojection” (a Garage Games employee) made an extremely interesting post in the TribalWar (the biggest Tribes fansite) forums. He posted: “Hmm…might be a good idea to keep your eyes open around the GarageGames booth at GDC 2006. Never know what kinda things might be shown off…” in a thread titled “Any chance we will ever see another Tribes game?”. Now why do we care? Well after Tribes 2, Sierra closed down the Dynamix studio (the company that made the first two Tribes games). Many of those employees went and created a new company called Garage Games. So really, the company is made up of many of the people that created the first two games.
What is even more interesting is that later on “ajaxprotection” posted a cool video in the forums as well. Watching the video, it looks a whole lot like a Tribes game. Could Garage Games be working on a spiritual successor? Did they actually manage to grab the rights?
The video looks absolutely beautiful. When they left Dynamix, they took Torque (the game engine that Tribes 2 used) with them. Since then they have been modifying and updating the engine. They have created the Torque Shader Engine, which looks great. Included is a completely new terrain engine that allows for huge viewable distances (greater than 4 miles / 7 km).
I can’t wait for GDC to find out more.
I am not sure what is worse, piracy or this rap song. Kids, please don’t copy that floppy or else we might see another one of these videos.