A new System Shock 3 trailer is out. For some reason I am having a really hard time getting excited for this one. OtherSide Entertainment’s last game was bad, so my expectations are fairly low right now. I am way more interested in the System Shock 1 Remake and System Shock 2 Enhanced Edition. This System Shock 3 trailer looks like a budget version of Prey. Now that I think about it, Prey was awesome so can we just get Prey 2 please?
I could listen to John talk all day, so I was pretty excited to see this 2 and a half hour interview.
John D. Carmack is an American computer programmer, engineer, and businessman. He co-founded id Software. Carmack was the lead programmer of the id video games Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Quake, Rage and their sequels. Carmack is best known for his innovations in 3D graphics. In August 2013, Carmack took the position of CTO at Oculus VR.
Just a quick update on the current state of the homelab.
- Samson SRK21
- Netgate SG-5100
- Unifi Switch US-24
- Navepoint 1U Rack Mount Cable Management Panel with Tidy Brush Slot
- AC Infinity Rack Panel Accessory Blank 1U Space
- CyberPower CPS1215RMS
- Synology DS1817+
- StarTech.com 2U Server Rack Shelf
- NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900
- 3x Raspberry Pi Model B3+
- Philips Hue Bridge
- Chief Raxxess UNS1 Vented Universal Rack Tray Shelf
- AC Infinity Rack Panel Accessory Blank 2U Space
- CyberPower OR1500LCDRT2U
- Whitebox ESXi Server
- Intel Core i7-6900K Broadwell-E 8-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 2011-v3
- ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1 LGA 2011-v3
- Noctua NH-U9DX
- 56GB CORSAIR Vengeance LPX DDR4 2800
- ASUS GeForce GT 710
- Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD
- 2x Intel EXPI9301CTBLK Network Adapter 10/100/1000Mbps PCI-Express 1 x RJ45
- HP 435508-B21 NC364T PCI-E Quad Port Gigabit Server Adapter
- CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W
- iStarUSA E-40 Black 4U Rackmount Chassis
- 6x StarTech.com CMHOOKMW Multi-Directional Vertical Server Rack Cable Management D-Ring Hook
- 4x Actiontec Bonded MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax Adapter
- Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO-US Unifi AP
- 2x Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LITE UniFi AP
This has been long overdue. I originally built my HTPC back in 2015 from parts left over after I upgraded my gaming PC. So it was basically put together from PC hardware that came out in 2012. At some point in late 2016 I got an Oculus Rift, so I put a Radeon RX 480 in there so I could play in a room with more space to move around. It has been more or less OK since then, but I would have occasional performance issues with some VR games, particularly occasional stutters and loss of tracking while playing Beat Saber. So with the release of the RYZEN 5 3600 for only $200 I thought it was a good time to ditch that old i5-3570K.
Here are the new specs of the HTPC/VR PC:
- AMD RYZEN 5 3600 6-Core 3.6 GHz
- Noctua NH-L12, Premium Low-profile CPU Cooler with Dual PWM Fans
- MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS Gaming Motherboard
- CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200
- Crucial MX500 2.5″ 250GB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
- XFX Radeon RS RX 480
- CORSAIR CX-M series CX500M 500W
- Fractal Design Node 605 Black Aluminum/Steel ATX HTPC/Media Center Computer Case
- Windows 10 Home
So far I am pretty pleased with it. It plays all the VR games I am currently into great and the issues with Beat Saber are gone.
Really really really ridiculously good looking