This year at QuakeCon, id Software made a bunch of pretty cool announcements. So here is a quick summary of the big announcements.
- Quake Zero: Quake Zero will be a free web browser based version of Quake 3 multiplayer. The game will be funded by advertising.
- Quake Arena: Quake Arena is currently under development for a release on the Xbox Live Arcade. Pi Studios will be working on the port.
- Enemy Territory PC Dated: Quake Wars will be hitting the PC on October 2. No word on the date for PS3 and Xbox 360.
- id Games on Steam: id Software’s entire catalog of games is now available for purchase on steam. This includes games like Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3D, Heretic, HeXen, and more recent titles like Doom 3. All of the classic games will work on modern operating systems.
- Wolfenstein Movie: id Software has teamed up with Roger Avary and Samuel Hadida to bring Wolfenstein to the big screen.
- Orcs & Elves: A few different Orcs & Elves announcements were made. The first was a port of Orcs & Elves for the DS. The second announcement was that Orcs & Elves II will be hitting mobile phones this holiday.
But of course the biggest announcement made this year was Rage, an action game set in a post-apocalyptic landscape jam-packed with driving and shooting. Its id Software’s first new IP in many years and is being built with id Tech 5, their newest engine technology. Rage will be released on PC, Mac, PS3 and Xbox 360.